jrleftfoot
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
dboss
16 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 3 Empty Re: Boston Celtics News (2023-2024)

Post by gyso Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:11 pm

Jayson Tatum becomes 10th-youngest NBA player to score 10,000 points

https://sports.yahoo.com/jayson-tatum-becomes-10th-youngest-010315746.html

Nick Goss
Sat, Nov 4, 2023, 10:37 PM EDT·2 min read

Jayson Tatum becomes 10th-youngest NBA player to score 10,000 points originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Boston Celtics forward Jayson Team reached an impressive NBA milestone Saturday night, and he's one of the youngest players ever to do it.

Tatum needed 16 points against the Brooklyn Nets to hit 10,000 for his career. He hit that mark in the second quarter with a sweet move for a layup plus a foul.

Tatum is the 10th-youngest player in NBA history and youngest Celtics player ever to reach 10,000 career points.

He's also just the 10th player to score 10,000 or more points at his age, per 98.5 The Sports Hub's Sean Grande. Tatum doesn't turn 26 until March 3.

Tatum has increased his points per game in each of the last five years, highlighted by a Celtics record 30.1 points per game last season. He's actually the only player in team history to average 30-plus points per game over a full season.

John Havlicek is the Celtics' all-time leader with 26,395 points. Havlicek, Paul Pierce (24,021) and Larry Bird (21,791) are the only players to score 20,000-plus points as a Celtic. If Tatum -- who is 14th on the Celtics' career scoring leaderboard -- stays in Boston for most of or all of his career, he should be able to join that group.

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 3 Empty Re: Boston Celtics News (2023-2024)

Post by gyso Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:15 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:22 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:45 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-champ-derek-fisher-subtle-154048266.html

Lakers champ Derek Fisher on the subtle elements of Kobe Bryant’s game he sees in Jayson Tatum

Justin Quinn

Mon, November 6, 2023 at 12:40 PM GMT-3·2 min read

Not unlike Paul Pierce, a Boston Celtics great who grew up idolizing the Los Angeles Lakers, Kobe Bryant was a young Jayson Tatum‘s favorite player. Unlike Pierce, however, Tatum would later become a friend and mentee of the Los Angeles guard who made The Truth’s life hard in the NBA finals on more than one occasion.

It is not hard to see a bit of Bryant in the St. Louis native’s step-back daggers in the midrange, especially when Tatum clicks into takeover mode, his hyper-focused attack reminiscent of what Pierce had to try to contain during his and Kobe’s heyday.

But for former Bryant teammate Derek Fisher, other, more subtle elements of Kobe’s game have found their way into Tatum’s approach to the sport, which he shared with the Celtics Wire in a recent interview.

“He’s becoming unflappable,” said Fisher, “and that was a characteristic Kobe had — not many guys were able to have that. They would allow things to be able to throw them off, and they couldn’t find their way back.”

“Jayson’s had games and performances where it just looks like — you think about the playoff run last year — it just looked like he wasn’t going to be able to get it going that night, (like) the performance he put together in Philly after missing every shot he took. And then some of the shots that he made late in some of those playoff games like that, that’s something Kobe capable of doing where he could still will us to win without necessarily playing great himself because of just how cool and calm and relaxed he was, and how driven he was. It was infectious to the rest of us. Even when he wasn’t at his level, the rest of us were at higher levels than we would be without him.”

“I think Jayson has that ability, almost regardless of his individual performance, every team he plays on is going to be really freaking good because you feel like you’ve got the best player on the floor on your team,” he added. “It’s a small list of guys in that category.”

And even among Boston’s bitterest rivals, it’s become evident Tatum is on it — with, perhaps, some thanks to Kobe.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:28 pm

gyso wrote:Jayson Tatum becomes 10th-youngest NBA player to score 10,000 points

That is some good company to be in.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:41 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 1 hour ago
Jayson Tatum has been named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:34 pm

Let’s see how many of these he gets this year. I also am still waiting for the ref’s to finally view him as the star he is and give him the calls he should be getting. It is like there is a vendetta against him by these guys. I know he whined too much last year, but at times it was warranted. I look at some of the foolish calls that other players get and I wonder what he will have to do to get those calls. I know….stop flailing those arms!,
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:11 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:39 am

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
yesterday
Congratulations to Derrick White and wife, Hannah, on the birth of their second child, Daxton. ... With the first named Hendrix, was kind of hoping for Van Halen or B.B. this time. 🎸

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:52 am

I would have gone with McKinley myself!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:32 am

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:06 am

How Sam Hauser is becoming everything the Celtics needed and more

By Justin Turpin
WEEI 93.7
a day ago

The Celtics have found way more than they originally bargained for in Sam Hauser.

After going undrafted out of Virginia, Hauser spent the first half of his rookie season on a two-way deal with the Celtics before signing a standard NBA contract midway through the season. Hauser was the first Celtic two-way player to have his contract converted to a standard NBA deal during his rookie season.

It was clear that Brad Stevens and the Celtics saw potential in the former Virginia Cavalier when the team declined his $1.6 million team option following his rookie season and offered him a three-year deal worth just under $6 million.

In terms of value contracts - You won’t find many around the league that top Hauser’s. The 3-and-D wing is making an average salary of about $1.8 million per season.

The Celtics took a shot on Hauser after 60 players were chosen before him on draft night back in 2021, and it has paid off big time for the Celtics.

The major changes made by the Celtics this offseason put Hauser in a prime position to take on a more substantial role, and so far, he has made the most of the opportunity, shouldering the load for a bench unit that has had its struggles early in the season.

After a slow start, shooting just 3-of-15 (20%) from deep in three games in October, Hauser found his stroke in November. The 25-year-old sharpshooter is shooting a ridiculous 25-of-44 (56.8%) from deep in the first seven games in November. Hauser has led the Celtics in bench-scoring in six of Boston’s seven games this month.

Justin Turpin
@JustinmTurpin
#Celtics bench scorers this season:

1.) Sam Hauser-96 points
-
-
-
2.) Payton Pritchard- 47 points
3.) Al Horford- 44 points
12:45 PM · Nov 14, 2023
·

In November, Hauser is averaging 12.2 points per game on 58.3% shooting from the floor and 56.8% from beyond the arc. Hauser is also averaging three rebounds per game.

Hauser’s value was on full display in Monday night’s 114-98 win over the New York Knicks, as he snagged a team-high three rebounds and provided a much-needed spark defensively in the first quarter. The 6-foot-8 wing finished the game with 12 points on 4-of-6 shooting (all from deep), four rebounds and two assists.

Though mostly known for his lights-out shooting, Hauser’s efforts on the defensive end are often overlooked. Hauser contested six shots and had two deflections in his 21 minutes of action Monday night, as Knicks shooters finished the night 0-of-4 with a turnover on shots defended by Hauser.

“I think he’s a much better defender than people think. I can’t say why, or else I’ll get in trouble,” head coach Joe Mazzulla said postgame. “His technique and his ability to know tendencies. I feel just as comfortable with him guarding as anybody else. I've said it from day one, I think he's a very, very good defender, underrated, and as he continues to get better, it makes our team better.”

Dan Greenberg
@StoolGreenie
Sam Hauser currently ranks in the 72nd percentile in isolation defense allowing just 0.70 ppp on 33% shooting

Players only have a 40% scoring frequency when attacking Hauser in isolation
12:08 PM · Nov 14, 2023
·

With depth in question, the Celtics needed Hauser to step up this season, and he has in a big way, emerging as more than just a three-point shooter. Hauser is a legitimate weapon for the Celtics and will play a key role off the bench for the C’s in their quest Banner 18.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:19 am

Many of us see that Sam is a much better defender than people think. Not Mannix. During the last pre-game, all he wanted to talk about was that the other teams would hunt Sam on the defensive end and if he isn't hitting his shots, he is useless.

Yes, the other teams hunted him last season, but I don't see it at all this season. Payton Pritchard may be targeted because of his height, but not so much for Sam.

Mannix needs to watch a game from this season and understand that the narrative he is spewing no longer exists.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:14 pm

I have given up on these guys who are so called experts. If you truly watched Sam game in and game out, you would see his total improvement. It started in the second half of last year, and I give Derrick White alot of credit. I have no idea if they work out together at all, but watching Sam you will see that he tries to defend guys alot like DWhite. And..he blocks shots every now and then. Is a good rebounder. Mannix should start watching Celtics basketball instead of trying to be a know it all on everything if he is going to go on television and pretend he is an expert. I am no expert, but I have been watching Sam for 2 years now and am impressed with his total improvement. And...he is a pure shooter, which Brad saw when he signed him the same night of the draft.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:38 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/17wn68a/for_anyone_interested_in_why_they_call_tatum_cute/

For anyone interested in why they call Tatum "cute rabbit" in chinese this might be the answer for the question, 6 years ago someone posted it.
Highlight
r/bostonceltics

6 yr. ago

Do you want to know their Chinese nickname?

Hello everyone, I'm a Celtics Fan from China,and I want to share our team 's nicknames in China. I'm not sure whether I can translate the spirit of those nicknames, but I will try my best.

1.Boston Celtics-“绿军(lü jun)”means "Green army",because our color and iron will.

2.Brad Stevens-“少帅(shao shuai)”means "young marshal","帅"this Chinese word have two means,as a adj,that means handsome;as a noun,that means "leader,coach,marshal"

3.Gordon Hayward-“九妹(jiu mei)”means"the ninth sister",because he is the No.9 pick and his haircut,long hair often links to woman and artist in China.

4.Al Horford-“伙夫”means"cooks",we usually call him horf for short,that pronounce is "huo fu" and that sounds like "cooks" in Chinese. oh,I nearly forget an important nickname for Al,it is a hard work for me to translate,but I am sure you will like it. “球盲鉴定器(qiu mang jian ding qi)” means "the detector that can authenticate whether you really can understand the basketball or not".and I to translated it into "basketball blind detector".“球盲”means “basketball blind,the man just watch,but doesn't really understand basketball " Al'PPG and other datas are not outstanding in regular season,so many people doubt whether he deserves the pay.We don't agree,and think those man who only focus on the datas can't see the really value about Al,they are "球盲",so we give that nickname to Al. Playoff proved our viewpoint,haha,our Al is priceless hah.

5.Jayson Tatum-“獭兔(ta tu)”means"rex rabbit", the same reason as Al. “人类十五分精华(ren lei shi wu fen jing hua)“ means"The fifteen point essence of mankind",JT often get 15 point in regular season by lots of ways,so he get that nickname,and now in the playoffs,he is "the 20points essence of mankind(人类二十分精华)"

6.Jaylen Brown-“杰伦(jie lun)”means "Jaylen",because we have a famous superstar named “杰伦”,so “杰伦”is a nickname for us in some way. “弑君者(shi jun zhe)”means"kingslayer",we think he will beat LBJ. “拧头者(ning tou zhe)”means "head twister",he used to say he will twist his rival's head.

7.Terry Rozier-“太子(tai zi)”means "prince",because Danny Anige will never trade him lol.

8.Kyrie Irving-“德鲁大叔(de lu da shu)”means "Uncle Drew " “太子太傅(tai zi tai fu)”means"the teacher of the prince"lol.

9.Aron Baynes-“大白(da bai)” means "Big White",because of his body,skin color and the movie <Big Hero 6>.

10.Marcus Smart-“钢哥(gang ge)”means "Brother Iron".When a man missing a shot,we will say he is forging iron.so...but we call him Brother Iron not only because of this,but also because of his tough behavior,tough rebound,tough defense,his will likes Iron.

“聪明哥(cong ming ge)”means"Brother Smart",because he is really smart.

Ending.

Let's go Celtic!☘☘☘☘

Thank you for your advice, and I will add some.

11.IT-“小刺客(xiao ci ke)”means "Little assassin",we call Isiah Thomas "smile assassin",because of the name and the size,so we call IT "little assassin"

12.Kelly Olynyk-"奥妞(ao niu)”means "Miss Orly",because of his haircut too.

13.AB-“小AB(xiao AB)” means "little AB",most of Celtics fans in China love this team because of 2008 championship,AB is so young compare to the BIG 3,so we call him little AB. "队长(dui zhang)" means "the captain",I don't think it is a nickname, but we often call him the captain,although we know Brad didn't set the captain.KG and PP were traded to Brooklyn,AB is the best player who can stand for Celtics pride. All of us really felt bad when I heard that AB was traded .😥

Some nicknames for “new” Celtics not shown in that post.

White - the White Emperor (白帝). This one originated from Spurs fans

Holiday - the Pig Brother (猪哥). The pronunciation of “Jrue” is similar to 猪(pig) in Chinese.

Porzingis - Platinum. The pronunciation of “Porzing” are similar to “铂金” (Platinum) in Chinese.

Grant Williams - Catfish. Because they think he looks like a catfish.

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:40 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/11/former-celtics-forward-found-guilty-in-healthcare-fraud-scheme.html

Former Celtics forward found guilty in healthcare fraud scheme

Published: Nov. 16, 2023, 10:23 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

Former Celtics big man Glen Davis was found guilty on Wednesday on charges related to a scheme defrauding the NBA’s healthcare system. Davis and former NBA guard Will Bynum were both found guilty in federal court for taking part in a theme that created fake claims for dental and medical procedures.

Davis faces up to 20 years in prison but will likely see a far shorter jail term than that according to multiple reports. The ringleader of the scheme, another former Celtics guard Terrence Williams was sentenced to ten years in prison earlier this year. Ex-Boston guards Sebastian Telfair and Tony Allen were also among the 18 former players charged in the scheme. Allen was sentenced to three years of probation and community service after pleading guilty back in August. Telfair is still awaiting sentencing.

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams released a statement Wednesday after Davis and Bynum were found guilty.

“A Manhattan jury convicted former NBA players Ronald Glen Davis and William Bynum of a criminal scheme to defraud the NBA Players’ Health and Benefit Welfare Plan,” the statement said. “While many of the more than 20 defendants convicted in this case were well-known NBA stars, their conduct was otherwise a typical fraudulent scheme designed to defraud the NBA’s health care plan and net the defendants over $5 million in illicit profits. Today’s conviction exemplifies that despite notoriety or success in sports or any other field, no one is exempt from criminal charges if they engage in fraud.”

Davis spent the first four seasons of his NBA career with the Celtics, winning an NBA title as a rookie in 2008. He was a key member of the team’s 2010 appearance in the NBA Finals before spending the remainder of his career with the Magic and Clippers. He has had a number of run-ins with the law over the past five years.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:55 am

Stupid, that is all I can say, other than greedy They deserve what they get
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:55 am

Stupid, that is all I can say, other than greedy They deserve what they get
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:09 pm

Sad.  Desperation & Greed still exists even when you have way more than the average bear in the land of opportunity. Money can't buy you happiness, but in most cases, it can sure help. Not in these cases. The love of money is indeed the root of all evil.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:58 am

Payton Pritchard is 18th in the NBA in Assist-to-Turnover Ratio @ 4.7:1. He is the top Celtic. The next highest Celtic is #72 Al Horford @ 2.91:1. Derrick @ #98 @ 2.62:!. That's all the Celtics in the top 100.

Two guards and a big; none of the Js. Jrue is #119 @ 2.28:1, Jaylen is #231 @ 1.52:1 and Jayson is #260 @ 1.35:1.

Dalano is #148 @ 2.0:1. Luke is also at #148 @ 2.0:1. Z is #229 @ 1.53:1.

Maybe running the offense through the Js isn't the most efficient way?

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 5 hours ago
Jaylen Brown, who finished last in the NBA in A/TO ratio a year ago, had 7 assists and just 1 turnover (plus a Celtics-high 26 points) in Wednesday's win over Milwaukee. It was his 12th career game with 8+ assists, the 2nd with just 1 turnover. (8/0 Dec. 5, 2022 at Toronto)

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:49 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/boston-joe-mazzulla-giving-bench-173134740.html

Boston’s Joe Mazzulla on giving his bench more run

Justin Quinn

Mon, November 27, 2023 at 2:31 PM GMT-3·2 min read

Astute fans of the Boston Celtics may have noticed that head coach Joe Mazzulla has been leaning on his bench more than in his first season at the helm of the club — and mixing it up while he does so to good effect. Mazzulla was asked about this tendency after the Celtics’ 113-103 win over the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday, and affirmed his focus on getting players reps while soaking in a glimpse of what they can do with opportunity.

“We’ve been playing eight (players) for the majority of the season, but you have to find opportunities for the other guys,” said Mazzulla via CLNS Media’s Bobby Manning.

“That’s something I’m much more comfortable doing this year,” he added, “leaving a lineup out there a little bit longer.”

“You have to find that balance,” suggested the Celtics coach.  “It might cost you a 6-0 run, an 8-0 run. I won’t let it cost us a game.”

In the win over the Hawks, two way big man Neemias Queta put up 10 boards off the bench — including 6 offensive boards — and Sam Hauser continued to cook with 12 points on 4-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc.

While it is yet early in the season, such an approach will go a long way towards ensuring the best possible health and reservoirs of energy for the postseason should Mazzulla keep it up. And it certainly doesn’t hurt to develop the talent already on your roster when it doesn’t cost you games.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Astute fans of the Boston Celtics may have noticed that head coach Joe Mazzulla has been leaning on his bench"?  I'm not seeing it.  Yeah, he played Queta 15 minutes last night but that's because Porzingis didn't play at all.  So he either gave Luke and Queta minutes, they played a combined 24 minutes, which is less than Porzingis' 30.3mpg so he didn't even give his bench bigs all the available minutes at big, or go small the whole game.  Al" played 32 minutes last night.  How is playing a 37 year old who isn't allowed to play b2bs 32 minutes evidence of Joe "playing his bench"?  He played 9 players last night despite being down 2 starters.  That's one player, Queta helping out Al and Luke, more than he has been playing all season when he wasn't "playing his bench" and Banton.  Svi, Lamar and Oshae are three veteran NBA players.  ALL 3 OF THOSE PLAYERS HAVE MORE NBA MINUTES THAN SAM HAUSER.  I like Sam, this is not a knock on him, but Joe started Dalano Banton even though he has fewer NBA minutes and NBA starts than Sam.  Even then Joe only played Banton 19 minutes.  Where's this "bench play" this guy is talking about?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:47 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:29 am

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Tuesday was Joe Mazzulla’s 100th game as Celtics coach.

His .710 win percentage in the best in NBA history.

Joe Mazzulla .710
Phil Jackson .704
Billy Cunningham .698
Larry Bird .687
David Blatt .675
KC Jones .674

The top NBA teams in that span…record and scoring differential:

Boston Celtics News (2023-2024) - Page 3 GAO9EUdXMAAFh5c?format=png&name=medium

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:50 am

“Slam” Hauser! I like it!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:22 am

bobc33 wrote:“Slam” Hauser!  I like it!!

Has been a total stud

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next